Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Beauly Priory
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_352_FM_P002
PLACENAME
Beauly Priory
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
DATE OF IMAGE
1780
PERIOD
1780s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31179
KEYWORDS
priories
monasteries
monks
religion
buildings
ruins
Beauly Priory

Beauly Priory was one of three priories founded in Scotland by the Valliscaulian order from Burgundy, France, after 1230. It was referred to by the monks as 'Prioratus de Bello Loco' (Priory of the Lovely Spot). The monastery was completed in 1272. In 1430, Sir Hugh Fraser of Lovat complained to the Pope that the priory was decaying due to mismanagement. A restoration programme was set up to repair the damage. In 1510 the priory changed its allegiance to the Cistercian order but after the Reformation it fell out of use. The lead was removed from the roof in 1582 and some stones used to build Cromwell's Citadel in Inverness in 1652.

The north transept of the priory was rebuilt by the architect Alexander Ross in 1901 as a mausoleum for the Mackenzie family.

The priory later passed into state control and is now looked after by Historic Scotland.

This illustration was taken from 'Antiquities and Scenery of the North of Scotland, in a series of letters to Thomas Pennant Esq', by Rev Charles Cordiner, Minister of St Andrew's Chapel, Banff (1780)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Beauly Priory

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

1780s

priories; monasteries; monks; religion; buildings; ruins

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Beauly Priory was one of three priories founded in Scotland by the Valliscaulian order from Burgundy, France, after 1230. It was referred to by the monks as 'Prioratus de Bello Loco' (Priory of the Lovely Spot). The monastery was completed in 1272. In 1430, Sir Hugh Fraser of Lovat complained to the Pope that the priory was decaying due to mismanagement. A restoration programme was set up to repair the damage. In 1510 the priory changed its allegiance to the Cistercian order but after the Reformation it fell out of use. The lead was removed from the roof in 1582 and some stones used to build Cromwell's Citadel in Inverness in 1652.<br /> <br /> The north transept of the priory was rebuilt by the architect Alexander Ross in 1901 as a mausoleum for the Mackenzie family.<br /> <br /> The priory later passed into state control and is now looked after by Historic Scotland.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Antiquities and Scenery of the North of Scotland, in a series of letters to Thomas Pennant Esq', by Rev Charles Cordiner, Minister of St Andrew's Chapel, Banff (1780)