Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fort George
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_352_FM_P012
PLACENAME
Fort George
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Ardersier
DATE OF IMAGE
1780
PERIOD
1780s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31189
KEYWORDS
forts
barracks
armies
Jacobites
soldiers
military
buildings
Fort George

Fort George is located on a point of land near Ardersier on the Moray Firth. It was built as a garrison for government troops who were to police the Highlands after the 1745 Jacobite Rising. The fort was designed by William Skinner, King's Military Engineer for North Britain, and was originally proposed to be on the site of Cromwell's Citadel in Inverness. Had it been there, Inverness Council would have claimed compensation for loss of use of the harbour so Skinner looked elsewhere for a site. The building work involved over 1000 men, took 21 years and cost £200,000. The fort was to be a once-and-for-all solution to the Highland and Jacobite threat to the British crown. By the time it was finished, behind schedule and over budget, the threat had disappeared.

Fort George is still a working barracks and has never seen a shot fired in anger during its lifetime.

This illustration was taken from 'Antiquities and Scenery of the North of Scotland, in a series of letters to Thomas Pennant Esq', by Rev Charles Cordiner, Minister of St Andrew's Chapel, Banff (1780)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fort George

INVERNESS: Ardersier

1780s

forts; barracks; armies; Jacobites; soldiers; military; buildings

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Fort George is located on a point of land near Ardersier on the Moray Firth. It was built as a garrison for government troops who were to police the Highlands after the 1745 Jacobite Rising. The fort was designed by William Skinner, King's Military Engineer for North Britain, and was originally proposed to be on the site of Cromwell's Citadel in Inverness. Had it been there, Inverness Council would have claimed compensation for loss of use of the harbour so Skinner looked elsewhere for a site. The building work involved over 1000 men, took 21 years and cost £200,000. The fort was to be a once-and-for-all solution to the Highland and Jacobite threat to the British crown. By the time it was finished, behind schedule and over budget, the threat had disappeared.<br /> <br /> Fort George is still a working barracks and has never seen a shot fired in anger during its lifetime.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Antiquities and Scenery of the North of Scotland, in a series of letters to Thomas Pennant Esq', by Rev Charles Cordiner, Minister of St Andrew's Chapel, Banff (1780)