Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunstaffnage Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_407_P073
PLACENAME
Dunstaffnage Castle
DISTRICT
South lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilmore and Kilbride
DATE OF IMAGE
1887
PERIOD
1760s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31202
KEYWORDS
castles
Campbells of Argyll
Dunstaffnage Castle

This illustration of Dunstaffnage Castle is from 'Tours in Scotland 1747, 1750, 1760' by Richard Pococke, Bishop of Meath, published by the Scottish History Society, 1887.

The ruins of Dunstaffnage can be found to the north of the village of Dunbeg, 2 miles (3 km) north of Oban in Argyll and Bute. The castle was built in the 13th century by the MacDougalls of Lorn who lost it in 1309. It passed to the Campbell Earls of Argyll in the 1320s and went through various phases of construction. The gatehouse dates from the 16th century and an interior range built by the Campbells in 1725 was where Flora Macdonald was imprisoned for a short time in 1746

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunstaffnage Castle

ARGYLL: Kilmore and Kilbride

1760s

castles; Campbells of Argyll

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This illustration of Dunstaffnage Castle is from 'Tours in Scotland 1747, 1750, 1760' by Richard Pococke, Bishop of Meath, published by the Scottish History Society, 1887. <br /> <br /> The ruins of Dunstaffnage can be found to the north of the village of Dunbeg, 2 miles (3 km) north of Oban in Argyll and Bute. The castle was built in the 13th century by the MacDougalls of Lorn who lost it in 1309. It passed to the Campbell Earls of Argyll in the 1320s and went through various phases of construction. The gatehouse dates from the 16th century and an interior range built by the Campbells in 1725 was where Flora Macdonald was imprisoned for a short time in 1746