Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plan of Inverlochy Fort, 1656
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_430_P001
PLACENAME
Inverlochy
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
DATE OF IMAGE
1899
PERIOD
1650s
CREATOR
C H Firth
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31212
KEYWORDS
forts
railways
plans
zoomable

The original fort at Inverlochy (later Fort William) was built in an effort to control the Highlands. It was constructed by General Monck in 1656 during the administration of Oliver Cromwell. Originally built of turf and wattle, the fort was rebuilt in stone in 1690, under General Mackay who renamed it Fort William. It was finally dismantled in 1864, prior to being taken over by the West Highland Railway Line in 1889.

This plan for the original fort is from 'Scotland and the Protectorate, Letters and Papers Relating to the Military Government of Scotland from January 1654 to June 1659', edited by C H Firth, MA, Edinburgh 1899

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plan of Inverlochy Fort, 1656

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

1650s

forts; railways; plans; zoomable

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (maps)

The original fort at Inverlochy (later Fort William) was built in an effort to control the Highlands. It was constructed by General Monck in 1656 during the administration of Oliver Cromwell. Originally built of turf and wattle, the fort was rebuilt in stone in 1690, under General Mackay who renamed it Fort William. It was finally dismantled in 1864, prior to being taken over by the West Highland Railway Line in 1889.<br /> <br /> This plan for the original fort is from 'Scotland and the Protectorate, Letters and Papers Relating to the Military Government of Scotland from January 1654 to June 1659', edited by C H Firth, MA, Edinburgh 1899