Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fortrose Cathedral, Black Isle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_458_P001
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
1885
PERIOD
1880s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31216
KEYWORDS
Fortrose Cathedral
Angus Beaton
Black Isle
Rosemarkie
Oliver Cromwell
Reformation
Fortrose Cathedral, Black Isle

This illustration is of the south side of Fortrose Cathedral. It is taken from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885.

The cathedral was established by Bishop Robert in the 13th century, after the Bishops of Ross moved there from Rosemarkie. Building ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century.

Already in a state of disrepair after the Reformation, much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses. All that remains are the south aisle of the nave and the nearby sacristy (undercroft) of the chapter house.

Within the aisles are three arched tombs: Euphemia, Countess of Ross, who was forced to marry Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch, Bishop Robert Cairncross, who died in 1545, and Bishop John Fraser, who died in 1507.

The Cathedral contains many marble tablets commemorating members of the Seaforth Mackenzie family and a memorial, built c1800, to Sir Alexander Mackenzie of Coul

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fortrose Cathedral, Black Isle

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1880s

Fortrose Cathedral; Angus Beaton; Black Isle; Rosemarkie; Oliver Cromwell; Reformation

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This illustration is of the south side of Fortrose Cathedral. It is taken from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885.<br /> <br /> The cathedral was established by Bishop Robert in the 13th century, after the Bishops of Ross moved there from Rosemarkie. Building ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century.<br /> <br /> Already in a state of disrepair after the Reformation, much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses. All that remains are the south aisle of the nave and the nearby sacristy (undercroft) of the chapter house.<br /> <br /> Within the aisles are three arched tombs: Euphemia, Countess of Ross, who was forced to marry Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch, Bishop Robert Cairncross, who died in 1545, and Bishop John Fraser, who died in 1507.<br /> <br /> The Cathedral contains many marble tablets commemorating members of the Seaforth Mackenzie family and a memorial, built c1800, to Sir Alexander Mackenzie of Coul