Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Hand bell from Fortrose Cathedral, Black Isle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_458_P014
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
1885
PERIOD
1460s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31220
KEYWORDS
Fortrose Cathedral
Angus Beaton
Black Isle
Bishop of Ross
Saint Boniface
Reformation
Oliver Cromwell
Hand bell from Fortrose Cathedral, Black Isle

This old hand bell is from Fortrose Cathedral. It bears the name Thomas Tulloch, Bishop of Ross and the date 1460. It is also inscribed with a dedication to the Virgin Mary and Saint Boniface. The illustration is from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885.

Fortrose Cathedral was established by Bishop Robert in the 13th century, after the Bishops of Ross moved there from Rosemarkie. Building ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century. Already in a state of disrepair after the Reformation, much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses. All that remains are the south aisle of the nave and the nearby sacristy (undercroft) of the chapter house

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Hand bell from Fortrose Cathedral, Black Isle

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1460s

Fortrose Cathedral; Angus Beaton; Black Isle; Bishop of Ross; Saint Boniface; Reformation; Oliver Cromwell

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This old hand bell is from Fortrose Cathedral. It bears the name Thomas Tulloch, Bishop of Ross and the date 1460. It is also inscribed with a dedication to the Virgin Mary and Saint Boniface. The illustration is from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885.<br /> <br /> Fortrose Cathedral was established by Bishop Robert in the 13th century, after the Bishops of Ross moved there from Rosemarkie. Building ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century. Already in a state of disrepair after the Reformation, much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses. All that remains are the south aisle of the nave and the nearby sacristy (undercroft) of the chapter house