Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Interior of Fortrose Cathedral, Black Isle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_458_P017
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
1885
PERIOD
1880s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31221
KEYWORDS
Fortrose Cathedral
Angus Beaton
Black Isle
Reformation
Oliver Cromwell
Countess of Ross
Wolf of Badenoch
Seaforth Mackenzies
Interior of Fortrose Cathedral, Black Isle

This illustration depicts the interior of Fortrose Cathedral. It is taken from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885.

The earliest parts of the cathedral date from the 13th century. Building work continued thereafter but ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century. Already in a state of disrepair after the Reformation, much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses. All that remains are the south aisle of the nave and the nearby sacristy (undercroft) of the chapter house.

Within the aisles are three arched tombs: Euphemia, Countess of Ross, who was forced to marry Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch, Bishop Robert Cairncross, who died in 1545, and Bishop John Fraser, who died in 1507.

The Cathedral contains many marble tablets commemorating members of the Seaforth Mackenzie family and a memorial, built c1800, to Sir Alexander Mackenzie of Coul

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Interior of Fortrose Cathedral, Black Isle

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1880s

Fortrose Cathedral; Angus Beaton; Black Isle; Reformation; Oliver Cromwell; Countess of Ross; Wolf of Badenoch; Seaforth Mackenzies

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This illustration depicts the interior of Fortrose Cathedral. It is taken from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885.<br /> <br /> The earliest parts of the cathedral date from the 13th century. Building work continued thereafter but ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century. Already in a state of disrepair after the Reformation, much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses. All that remains are the south aisle of the nave and the nearby sacristy (undercroft) of the chapter house.<br /> <br /> Within the aisles are three arched tombs: Euphemia, Countess of Ross, who was forced to marry Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch, Bishop Robert Cairncross, who died in 1545, and Bishop John Fraser, who died in 1507.<br /> <br /> The Cathedral contains many marble tablets commemorating members of the Seaforth Mackenzie family and a memorial, built c1800, to Sir Alexander Mackenzie of Coul