Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Rosemarkie Church, Black Isle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_458_P028
PLACENAME
Rosemarkie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
1885
PERIOD
1880s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31227
KEYWORDS
Rosemarkie Parish Church
Angus Beaton
Black Isle
Fortrose
St Boniface
Fortrose Cathedral
Rosemarkie Church, Black Isle

This illustration of Rosemarkie Parish Church is from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885.

The church of Rosemarkie was traditionally founded by St Boniface in the seventh century and was the seat of the cathedral church of Ross until Fortrose Cathedral was founded c1235. The present church dates from 1821

In the illustration, at the northwest corner of the church, a symbol-bearing Pictish cross-slab can be seen standing next to the church. It is encased within an iron cage. This important Pictish stone was moved indoors for protection in 1978 and can now be seen in Groam House Museum in Rosemarkie

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Rosemarkie Church, Black Isle

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1880s

Rosemarkie Parish Church; Angus Beaton; Black Isle; Fortrose; St Boniface; Fortrose Cathedral

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This illustration of Rosemarkie Parish Church is from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885. <br /> <br /> The church of Rosemarkie was traditionally founded by St Boniface in the seventh century and was the seat of the cathedral church of Ross until Fortrose Cathedral was founded c1235. The present church dates from 1821<br /> <br /> In the illustration, at the northwest corner of the church, a symbol-bearing Pictish cross-slab can be seen standing next to the church. It is encased within an iron cage. This important Pictish stone was moved indoors for protection in 1978 and can now be seen in Groam House Museum in Rosemarkie