Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A view of Avoch Church and Rosehaugh Valley
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_458_P031
PLACENAME
Avoch
DISTRICT
Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Avoch
DATE OF IMAGE
1885
PERIOD
1880s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31229
KEYWORDS
Avoch Parish Church
Rosehaugh
Angus Beaton
Black Isle
Fortrose
James Fletcher
Sir Alexander Mackenzie
A view of Avoch Church and Rosehaugh Valley

This illustration of Avoch Parish Church and the Rosehaugh Valley is taken from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885.

In his guide, Beaton refers to the recent considerable improvements to the village of Avoch, made possible by the efforts of Mr James Fletcher of Rosehaugh Estate. He was responsible for providing employment, improved housing and better water supplies in the village. He increased the value of his estate by one third. A report from the Board of Supervision at the time states 'The village of Avoch, from having been one of the most slovenly and filthy, has now been transformed into one of the most tidy and clean fishing villages to be found anywhere'

The Canadian explorer Sir Alexander Mackenzie (1764 - 1820) is buried in Avoch churchyard

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A view of Avoch Church and Rosehaugh Valley

ROSS: Avoch

1880s

Avoch Parish Church; Rosehaugh; Angus Beaton; Black Isle; Fortrose; James Fletcher; Sir Alexander Mackenzie

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This illustration of Avoch Parish Church and the Rosehaugh Valley is taken from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885. <br /> <br /> In his guide, Beaton refers to the recent considerable improvements to the village of Avoch, made possible by the efforts of Mr James Fletcher of Rosehaugh Estate. He was responsible for providing employment, improved housing and better water supplies in the village. He increased the value of his estate by one third. A report from the Board of Supervision at the time states 'The village of Avoch, from having been one of the most slovenly and filthy, has now been transformed into one of the most tidy and clean fishing villages to be found anywhere'<br /> <br /> The Canadian explorer Sir Alexander Mackenzie (1764 - 1820) is buried in Avoch churchyard