Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Pictish cross-slab found at Rosemarkie Church
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_458_P051
PLACENAME
Rosemarkie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
1885
PERIOD
8c; 9c
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31232
KEYWORDS
Pictish stones
Picts
Pictish cross-slab found at Rosemarkie Church

This illustration shows both sides of a Pictish symbol-bearing cross-slab found under the floor of the old church at Rosemarkie. The slab was carved in the 8th or 9th century. The symbols include crescents and v-rods, a double disc and z-rod, and two mirrors and a comb. The slab was displayed outside the church for many years but was moved indoors in 1978 for protection against the weather. It can be seen today in Groam House Museum in Rosemarkie.

The illustration is taken from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Pictish cross-slab found at Rosemarkie Church

ROSS: Rosemarkie

8c; 9c

Pictish stones; Picts

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This illustration shows both sides of a Pictish symbol-bearing cross-slab found under the floor of the old church at Rosemarkie. The slab was carved in the 8th or 9th century. The symbols include crescents and v-rods, a double disc and z-rod, and two mirrors and a comb. The slab was displayed outside the church for many years but was moved indoors in 1978 for protection against the weather. It can be seen today in Groam House Museum in Rosemarkie. <br /> <br /> The illustration is taken from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885