Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunrobin Castle, seat of the Duke of Sutherland
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_467_P015
PLACENAME
Dunrobin Castle
DISTRICT
Golspie, Rogart and Lairg
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Golspie
DATE OF IMAGE
1897
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
Rev Adam Gunn, MA & John Mackay (eds)
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31235
KEYWORDS
castles
Dunrobin Castle, seat of the Duke of Sutherland

Dunrobin has been the principal seat of the Dukes of Sutherland since the 12th century. The castle originally consisted of a keep (dating from 1401) and a large 17th-century house based around a central courtyard but very little of these earlier structures still survives. The impressive exterior (similar in style to a French chateau) dates mainly from the mid-19th century. The architects were Sir Charles Barry and William Leslie. The attractive gardens also date from this time.

A fire in 1915 destroyed much of Barry's interior and the leading Scottish architect, Sir Robert Lorimer, was commissioned to redesign many rooms including the dining room, the drawing room and library. A museum was created in the former summer house in 1878. It contains many Pictish stones and game trophies.

The photograph is from 'Sutherland and the Reay Country' edited by Rev Adam Gunn & John Mackay, 1897

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunrobin Castle, seat of the Duke of Sutherland

SUTHERLAND: Golspie

1890s

castles

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Dunrobin has been the principal seat of the Dukes of Sutherland since the 12th century. The castle originally consisted of a keep (dating from 1401) and a large 17th-century house based around a central courtyard but very little of these earlier structures still survives. The impressive exterior (similar in style to a French chateau) dates mainly from the mid-19th century. The architects were Sir Charles Barry and William Leslie. The attractive gardens also date from this time. <br /> <br /> A fire in 1915 destroyed much of Barry's interior and the leading Scottish architect, Sir Robert Lorimer, was commissioned to redesign many rooms including the dining room, the drawing room and library. A museum was created in the former summer house in 1878. It contains many Pictish stones and game trophies.<br /> <br /> The photograph is from 'Sutherland and the Reay Country' edited by Rev Adam Gunn & John Mackay, 1897