Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
General Sir John Ewart, 93rd Sutherland Highlanders
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_467_P234
DATE OF IMAGE
1897
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
Rev Adam Gunn, MA & John Mackay (eds)
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31249
KEYWORDS
regiments
General Sir John Ewart, 93rd Sutherland Highlanders

The 93rd Sutherland Highlanders were first formed in 1799 comprising of members of the disbanded Sutherland Fencibles and tenants of the Countess of Sutherland. For 80 years the regiment fought with distinction in South Africa, the United States, the Crimea and India. During the Indian Mutiny the regiment, under the command of Colonel John Ewart, took part in the relief of Lucknow, winning six Victoria Crosses in one day. The regiment merged with the 91st Argyll Highlanders in 1881 to form the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

The photograph is from 'Sutherland and the Reay Country' edited by Rev Adam Gunn & John Mackay, 1897

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

General Sir John Ewart, 93rd Sutherland Highlanders

1890s

regiments;

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The 93rd Sutherland Highlanders were first formed in 1799 comprising of members of the disbanded Sutherland Fencibles and tenants of the Countess of Sutherland. For 80 years the regiment fought with distinction in South Africa, the United States, the Crimea and India. During the Indian Mutiny the regiment, under the command of Colonel John Ewart, took part in the relief of Lucknow, winning six Victoria Crosses in one day. The regiment merged with the 91st Argyll Highlanders in 1881 to form the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.<br /> <br /> The photograph is from 'Sutherland and the Reay Country' edited by Rev Adam Gunn & John Mackay, 1897