Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Officer, Sergeant, Piper & Privates of Sutherland Rifle Volunteers, 1895
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_467_P262
DATE OF IMAGE
1897
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
Rev Adam Gunn, MA & John Mackay (eds)
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31252
KEYWORDS
regiments
Officer, Sergeant, Piper & Privates of Sutherland Rifle Volunteers, 1895

In 1895 the Sutherland Rifle Volunteers consisted of over one thousand men, approximately half being from Sutherland and half from Caithness.

The origins of the regiment lay in the eight original companies formed in 1859-61. Four of these were raised in Sutherland (1st Golspie Company, 2nd Dornoch Company, 3rd Brora Company and 4th Rogart Company), three were raised in Caithness (1st Thurso Company, 2nd Wick Company and 3rd Halkirk Company) and one was raised in Orkney and Shetland (1st Lerwick Company).

These companies were later incorporated into the 1st Administrative Battalion Sutherland Rifle Volunteers with headquarters at Golspie.

In 1866 HRH The Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) became Honorary Colonel of the battalion. In 1867 the 4th Watten Company was raised in Caithness and, in the following year, the 5th Bonar Bridge Company was raised in Sutherland.

A further phase of expansion occured in the 1880s with new companies raised in Wick and Reay and the the replacement of the Lerwick Company with one from Lairg. The brass band was replaced by a pipe band in 1883.

The battalion received the Campaign Honour 'South Africa 1900-02' for the service of 87 of its volunteers in the Boer War.

This photograph is from 'Sutherland and the Reay Country' edited by Rev Adam Gunn & John Mackay, 1897

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Officer, Sergeant, Piper & Privates of Sutherland Rifle Volunteers, 1895

1890s

regiments

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

In 1895 the Sutherland Rifle Volunteers consisted of over one thousand men, approximately half being from Sutherland and half from Caithness. <br /> <br /> The origins of the regiment lay in the eight original companies formed in 1859-61. Four of these were raised in Sutherland (1st Golspie Company, 2nd Dornoch Company, 3rd Brora Company and 4th Rogart Company), three were raised in Caithness (1st Thurso Company, 2nd Wick Company and 3rd Halkirk Company) and one was raised in Orkney and Shetland (1st Lerwick Company). <br /> <br /> These companies were later incorporated into the 1st Administrative Battalion Sutherland Rifle Volunteers with headquarters at Golspie. <br /> <br /> In 1866 HRH The Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) became Honorary Colonel of the battalion. In 1867 the 4th Watten Company was raised in Caithness and, in the following year, the 5th Bonar Bridge Company was raised in Sutherland.<br /> <br /> A further phase of expansion occured in the 1880s with new companies raised in Wick and Reay and the the replacement of the Lerwick Company with one from Lairg. The brass band was replaced by a pipe band in 1883. <br /> <br /> The battalion received the Campaign Honour 'South Africa 1900-02' for the service of 87 of its volunteers in the Boer War.<br /> <br /> This photograph is from 'Sutherland and the Reay Country' edited by Rev Adam Gunn & John Mackay, 1897