Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Port Charlotte, Rinns of Islay
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_468_P066
PLACENAME
Port Charlotte
DISTRICT
Islay
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilchoman
DATE OF IMAGE
1902
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31274
KEYWORDS
Port Charlotte
Islay
Rinns of Islay
Loch Indaal
Lochindaal Distillery
islands
Port Charlotte, Rinns of Islay

This illustration was taken from "Argyll's Highlands" by Cuthbert Bede. It shows a photograph of Port Charlotte on the Rinns of Islay.

Situated on the north side of Loch Indaal, Port Charlotte was established in 1828 by Walter Campbell, the Laird of Islay. He named the settlement after his mother and initially built housing there for the purpose of providing shelter for the workers at Lochindaal Distillery. The distillery closed in 1929, but some of its buildings are still in use on the island

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Port Charlotte, Rinns of Islay

ARGYLL: Kilchoman

Port Charlotte; Islay; Rinns of Islay; Loch Indaal; Lochindaal Distillery; islands

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (photographs)

This illustration was taken from "Argyll's Highlands" by Cuthbert Bede. It shows a photograph of Port Charlotte on the Rinns of Islay.<br /> <br /> Situated on the north side of Loch Indaal, Port Charlotte was established in 1828 by Walter Campbell, the Laird of Islay. He named the settlement after his mother and initially built housing there for the purpose of providing shelter for the workers at Lochindaal Distillery. The distillery closed in 1929, but some of its buildings are still in use on the island