Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness High Street
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_784_P008
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1893
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
F Valentine and Sons
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31321
KEYWORDS
High Street
streets
buildings
fountains
stones
statues
Inverness High Street

This is the view of Inverness High Street looking up the street from the river. The fountain in the foreground is the Forbes Memorial Fountain presented to the town in 1880. The fountain also protected the Clach-na-Cudain (Stone of the Tubs). The stone had been used as a resting place for women carrying water, in tubs, from the river.

The pillared building on the corner behind the fountain housed William Mackay's tartan and tweed warehouse. The carved figures on the top of the building represent the Three Virtues - Faith, Hope and Charity. Since 1955 these have been on display at Graemeshall House at Holm, Orkney but it is hoped that they will soon return to Inverness. The building itself has been demolished and has been replaced by a fast food outlet.

This illustration was taken from 'Mackenzie's Guide to Inverness', by Alexander Mackenzie (Inverness, 1893)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness High Street

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s

High Street; streets; buildings; fountains; stones; statues

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This is the view of Inverness High Street looking up the street from the river. The fountain in the foreground is the Forbes Memorial Fountain presented to the town in 1880. The fountain also protected the Clach-na-Cudain (Stone of the Tubs). The stone had been used as a resting place for women carrying water, in tubs, from the river.<br /> <br /> The pillared building on the corner behind the fountain housed William Mackay's tartan and tweed warehouse. The carved figures on the top of the building represent the Three Virtues - Faith, Hope and Charity. Since 1955 these have been on display at Graemeshall House at Holm, Orkney but it is hoped that they will soon return to Inverness. The building itself has been demolished and has been replaced by a fast food outlet.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Mackenzie's Guide to Inverness', by Alexander Mackenzie (Inverness, 1893)