Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Spa Hotel, Strathpeffer
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_784_P014
PLACENAME
Strathpeffer
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fodderty
DATE OF IMAGE
1893
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
Meisenbach
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31326
KEYWORDS
hotels
spas
buildings
lodgings
springs
waters
The Spa Hotel, Strathpeffer

Strathpeffer lies 4 miles west of Dingwall in Strath Peffer. In the late 18th century the sulphur and iron-rich springs were declared to have healing powers and a steady stream of visitors came to the town. The railway arrived in 1885 and from then until the First World War the town was a popular visitor attraction.

The first major hotel to open in Strathpeffer was the Spa Hotel in 1879. It was therefore able to claim in its advertisements that it was 'the oldest establishment and leading hotel, replete with modern conveniences'.

This illustration was taken from 'Mackenzie's Guide to Inverness', by Alexander Mackenzie (Inverness, 1893)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Spa Hotel, Strathpeffer

ROSS: Fodderty

1890s

hotels; spas; buildings; lodgings; springs; waters

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Strathpeffer lies 4 miles west of Dingwall in Strath Peffer. In the late 18th century the sulphur and iron-rich springs were declared to have healing powers and a steady stream of visitors came to the town. The railway arrived in 1885 and from then until the First World War the town was a popular visitor attraction.<br /> <br /> The first major hotel to open in Strathpeffer was the Spa Hotel in 1879. It was therefore able to claim in its advertisements that it was 'the oldest establishment and leading hotel, replete with modern conveniences'.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Mackenzie's Guide to Inverness', by Alexander Mackenzie (Inverness, 1893)