Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fortrose Cathedral
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_784_P021
PLACENAME
Fortrose Cathedral
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
1893
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
W Wilson and Sons
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31333
KEYWORDS
cathedrals
Reformation
graves
buildings
churches
Fortrose Cathedral

Fortrose Cathedral was built when Bishop Robert of the Diocese of Ross moved from Rosemarkie to Fortrose in the mid-13th century. After the Reformation the roof lead was taken by William, Lord Ruthven and the building fell into disrepair. Much of the red sandstone was later removed by Oliver Cromwell to build his fort in Inverness. All that remains of the original building is the south side of the nave and the undercroft or sacristy of the chapter house. The outline of the original building can be seen on the grass.

In the 17th century the building became a burial ground for the Mackenzies of Seaforth. There are also three arched tombs in the Cathedral: Euphemia, Countess of Ross, who was forced to marry Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch, Bishop Cairncross, who died in 1545, and Bishop Fraser, who died in 1507

This illustration was taken from 'Mackenzie's Guide to Inverness', by Alexander Mackenzie (Inverness, 1893)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fortrose Cathedral

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1890s

cathedrals; Reformation; graves; buildings; churches

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Fortrose Cathedral was built when Bishop Robert of the Diocese of Ross moved from Rosemarkie to Fortrose in the mid-13th century. After the Reformation the roof lead was taken by William, Lord Ruthven and the building fell into disrepair. Much of the red sandstone was later removed by Oliver Cromwell to build his fort in Inverness. All that remains of the original building is the south side of the nave and the undercroft or sacristy of the chapter house. The outline of the original building can be seen on the grass. <br /> <br /> In the 17th century the building became a burial ground for the Mackenzies of Seaforth. There are also three arched tombs in the Cathedral: Euphemia, Countess of Ross, who was forced to marry Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch, Bishop Cairncross, who died in 1545, and Bishop Fraser, who died in 1507<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Mackenzie's Guide to Inverness', by Alexander Mackenzie (Inverness, 1893)