Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fort Augustus
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_914_117_P008
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
1852
PERIOD
1770s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31350
KEYWORDS
towns
villages
locks
canals
lochs
forts
abbeys
lochs
Fort Augustus

Fort Augustus is situated at the south west end of Loch Ness in the Great Glen. It was originally named after St Cummein who built a church there and the Gaelic name is still Cill Chuimein. The name 'Fort Augustus' dates from the building of a fort after the defeat of the 1715 Jacobite Rising. The fort was named after one of George II's sons who was later to become the Duke of Cumberland of the '45 Jacobite Rising.

Little of the original fort remains but some parts were incorporated into the Benedictine Abbey which was built in 1876.

The town is at the point where Loch Ness meets the Caledonian Canal. The canal bisects Fort Augustus with an impressive flight of locks.

This illustration was taken from 'Boswell's Journal of the Tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson' (1852 edition)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fort Augustus

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1770s

towns; villages; locks; canals; lochs; forts; abbeys; lochs

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Fort Augustus is situated at the south west end of Loch Ness in the Great Glen. It was originally named after St Cummein who built a church there and the Gaelic name is still Cill Chuimein. The name 'Fort Augustus' dates from the building of a fort after the defeat of the 1715 Jacobite Rising. The fort was named after one of George II's sons who was later to become the Duke of Cumberland of the '45 Jacobite Rising.<br /> <br /> Little of the original fort remains but some parts were incorporated into the Benedictine Abbey which was built in 1876.<br /> <br /> The town is at the point where Loch Ness meets the Caledonian Canal. The canal bisects Fort Augustus with an impressive flight of locks.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Boswell's Journal of the Tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson' (1852 edition)