Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kilchurn Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_914_117_P016
PLACENAME
Kilchurn Castle
DISTRICT
South Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Glenorchy and Inishail
DATE OF IMAGE
1852
PERIOD
1770s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31358
KEYWORDS
castles
lochs
barracks
buildings
clans
storms
islands
Kilchurn Castle

Kilchurn Castle stands on a small peninsula in Loch Awe about a mile west of Dalmally. The castle dates from the 15th century and was built by Colin Campbell, the First Lord of Glenorchy. In 1681 Sir John Campbell of Glenorchy was made the First Earl of Breadalbane and in the 1690s converted the castle into a barracks capable of housing up to 200 troops. The castle was used as a government barracks during the 1715 and 1745 Jacobite Risings but despite the Campbells' efforts, the government would not buy the castle from them. The Campbells left Kilchurn Castle for Taymouth Castle and their Perthshire estates in 1740. In 1760, lightning so badly damaged the castle that it was abandoned and left to ruin.

Originally, Kilchurn Castle stood on an island but in 1817 the level of the loch was lowered when the outflow into the Pass of Brander was cleared. The castle has been in the care of Historic Scotland since 1953.

This illustration was taken from 'Boswell's Journal of the Tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson' (1852 edition)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kilchurn Castle

ARGYLL: Glenorchy and Inishail

1770s

castles; lochs; barracks; buildings; clans; storms; islands

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Kilchurn Castle stands on a small peninsula in Loch Awe about a mile west of Dalmally. The castle dates from the 15th century and was built by Colin Campbell, the First Lord of Glenorchy. In 1681 Sir John Campbell of Glenorchy was made the First Earl of Breadalbane and in the 1690s converted the castle into a barracks capable of housing up to 200 troops. The castle was used as a government barracks during the 1715 and 1745 Jacobite Risings but despite the Campbells' efforts, the government would not buy the castle from them. The Campbells left Kilchurn Castle for Taymouth Castle and their Perthshire estates in 1740. In 1760, lightning so badly damaged the castle that it was abandoned and left to ruin.<br /> <br /> Originally, Kilchurn Castle stood on an island but in 1817 the level of the loch was lowered when the outflow into the Pass of Brander was cleared. The castle has been in the care of Historic Scotland since 1953.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Boswell's Journal of the Tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson' (1852 edition)