Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inveraray Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_914_117_P017
PLACENAME
Inveraray Castle
DISTRICT
Inveraray
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Inveraray
DATE OF IMAGE
1852
PERIOD
1770s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31359
KEYWORDS
castles
lochs
clans
towns
buildings
relocation
electricity
Inveraray Castle

The original Inveraray Castle was built, in a different location to that of the present castle, in the 15th century by Colin Campbell, 1st Duke of Argyll. This castle was demolished during extensive rebuilding in the area between 1744 and 1758 when the 3rd Duke of Argyll relocated the town of Inveraray so that he could build his new castle in its place.

Inveraray Castle has remained the seat of the Dukes of Argyll, the chiefs of the Campbells of Argyll.

The present castle sits just northeast of the relocated town of Inveraray and overlooks both Loch Shira and Loch Fyne. It was the first house in Scotland to have electricity installed in around 1890.

This illustration was taken from 'Boswell's Journal of the Tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson' (1852 edition)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inveraray Castle

ARGYLL: Inveraray

1770s

castles; lochs; clans; towns; buildings; relocation; electricity

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The original Inveraray Castle was built, in a different location to that of the present castle, in the 15th century by Colin Campbell, 1st Duke of Argyll. This castle was demolished during extensive rebuilding in the area between 1744 and 1758 when the 3rd Duke of Argyll relocated the town of Inveraray so that he could build his new castle in its place.<br /> <br /> Inveraray Castle has remained the seat of the Dukes of Argyll, the chiefs of the Campbells of Argyll.<br /> <br /> The present castle sits just northeast of the relocated town of Inveraray and overlooks both Loch Shira and Loch Fyne. It was the first house in Scotland to have electricity installed in around 1890.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Boswell's Journal of the Tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson' (1852 edition)