Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Map of St Kilda
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_941_17
PLACENAME
St Kilda
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Harris
DATE OF IMAGE
1764
PERIOD
1760s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31369
KEYWORDS
maps
islands
birds
sea birds
colonies
military
Ministry of Defence
zoomable

St Kilda is a small group of islands about 40 miles west of Benbecula in the Western Isles. The four islands which make up the group are Hirta (the main island), Soay, Dun and Boreray.
St Kilda has been more or less continuously occupied for the last 2000 years but the last native St Kildans were evacuated from the island at their own request in 1930. A gradual loss of self-sufficiency had begun in the 19th century. During the First World War there were regular deliveries of mail and food for the naval detachment on Hirta, but the islanders were demoralised when these supplies were cut off after the war.
In 1957 St Kilda was left to the National Trust for Scotland by the 5th Marquis of Bute, to be managed by Scottish Natural Heritage. There is also a Ministry of Defence radar station on Hirta to monitor the Benbecula missile range. The islands now have a small population of military personnel, a ranger and visiting scientists. They are home to the world's largest gannet population, Britain's largest fulmar population and half of Britain's puffins.

This map shows the main island and its settlements at around 1764. It is from 'The History of St Kilda', by Rev Kenneth MacAulay (1764)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Map of St Kilda

INVERNESS: Harris

1760s

maps; islands; birds; sea birds; colonies; military; Ministry of Defence; zoomable

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (maps)

St Kilda is a small group of islands about 40 miles west of Benbecula in the Western Isles. The four islands which make up the group are Hirta (the main island), Soay, Dun and Boreray.<br /> St Kilda has been more or less continuously occupied for the last 2000 years but the last native St Kildans were evacuated from the island at their own request in 1930. A gradual loss of self-sufficiency had begun in the 19th century. During the First World War there were regular deliveries of mail and food for the naval detachment on Hirta, but the islanders were demoralised when these supplies were cut off after the war.<br /> In 1957 St Kilda was left to the National Trust for Scotland by the 5th Marquis of Bute, to be managed by Scottish Natural Heritage. There is also a Ministry of Defence radar station on Hirta to monitor the Benbecula missile range. The islands now have a small population of military personnel, a ranger and visiting scientists. They are home to the world's largest gannet population, Britain's largest fulmar population and half of Britain's puffins.<br /> <br /> This map shows the main island and its settlements at around 1764. It is from 'The History of St Kilda', by Rev Kenneth MacAulay (1764)