Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Staffa with Colonnade
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_941_117_P003
PLACENAME
Staffa
DISTRICT
Mull
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilninian and Kilmore
DATE OF IMAGE
1890
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31380
KEYWORDS
islands
coasts
cliffs
caves
columns
basalt
volcanoes
Staffa with Colonnade

Staffa lies off the west coast of Mull. It is a small uninhabited island which is famous for its volcanic basalt columns. On the south coast of the island, to the east of Fingal's Cave, is the Colonnade or the Great Face. This is a vast wall of columns reaching a height of 17m (56ft). The hexagonal basalt columns are a result of lava flows cooling when coming into contact with the water. The hexagonal shape is due to the cooling and contracting process.

This image is taken from 'An Historical, Archaeological and Geographical Examination of Fingal's Cave in the Island of Staffa', by JP Maclean (1890)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Staffa with Colonnade

ARGYLL: Kilninian and Kilmore

1890s

islands; coasts; cliffs; caves; columns; basalt; volcanoes

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Staffa lies off the west coast of Mull. It is a small uninhabited island which is famous for its volcanic basalt columns. On the south coast of the island, to the east of Fingal's Cave, is the Colonnade or the Great Face. This is a vast wall of columns reaching a height of 17m (56ft). The hexagonal basalt columns are a result of lava flows cooling when coming into contact with the water. The hexagonal shape is due to the cooling and contracting process.<br /> <br /> This image is taken from 'An Historical, Archaeological and Geographical Examination of Fingal's Cave in the Island of Staffa', by JP Maclean (1890)