Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverary Castle & Dun-y-quaich
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_1103_P001
PLACENAME
Inveraray
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Inveraray
PERIOD
1830s
CREATOR
John Fleming
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31419
KEYWORDS
castles
hereditary homes
mansions
mansion houses
hills
Inverary Castle & Dun-y-quaich

Inverary (or Inveraray) Castle is the seat of the Dukes of Argyll. The present castle sits just north east of the town of Inveraray, overlooking Loch Shira and Loch Fyne.

The original Inveraray Castle was built in a different location in the 15th century by Colin Campbell, 1st Duke of Argyll. It was demolished during extensive rebuilding in the area between 1744 and 1758 when the 3rd Duke of Argyll relocated the town of Inveraray so that he could build his new castle where he wanted it.

Despite two major fires in 1877 and 1975, Inveraray Castle has remained the seat of the Dukes of Argyll, chiefs of the Argyll Campbells. It was also the first house in Scotland to have electricity installed in around 1890.

Dun-y-quaich (or Dun na Cuaiche) is a rocky crag above the town of Inveraray. On its summit is an 18th century watchtower from which there are excellent views of the surrounding countryside. It is thought that the hill may have taken its name from the Gaelic word 'Cuach' meaning quaich or shallow cup, because of its resemblance to such an article.

This illustration is taken from 'The Lakes of Scotland' by John Fleming.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverary Castle & Dun-y-quaich

ARGYLL: Inveraray

1830s

castles; hereditary homes; mansions; mansion houses; hills

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Inverary (or Inveraray) Castle is the seat of the Dukes of Argyll. The present castle sits just north east of the town of Inveraray, overlooking Loch Shira and Loch Fyne. <br /> <br /> The original Inveraray Castle was built in a different location in the 15th century by Colin Campbell, 1st Duke of Argyll. It was demolished during extensive rebuilding in the area between 1744 and 1758 when the 3rd Duke of Argyll relocated the town of Inveraray so that he could build his new castle where he wanted it.<br /> <br /> Despite two major fires in 1877 and 1975, Inveraray Castle has remained the seat of the Dukes of Argyll, chiefs of the Argyll Campbells. It was also the first house in Scotland to have electricity installed in around 1890.<br /> <br /> Dun-y-quaich (or Dun na Cuaiche) is a rocky crag above the town of Inveraray. On its summit is an 18th century watchtower from which there are excellent views of the surrounding countryside. It is thought that the hill may have taken its name from the Gaelic word 'Cuach' meaning quaich or shallow cup, because of its resemblance to such an article. <br /> <br /> This illustration is taken from 'The Lakes of Scotland' by John Fleming.