Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Shiel from Tòrr a'Choit looking south west
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_1103_P006
PLACENAME
Loch Shiel
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart
PERIOD
1830s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31423
KEYWORDS
lochs
hills
mountains
Jacobites
Prince Charles Edward Stuart
Prince Charles Edward Stewart
the '45
the forty-five
rebellions
risings
monuments
towers
Loch Shiel from Tòrr a'Choit looking south west

Loch Shiel is a long, narrow, freshwater loch, stretching some 17½ miles south west from Glenfinnan to Acharacle. It forms the boundary between the district of Moidart and the district of Ardgour and is the fourth longest loch in Scotland, after Loch Ness, Loch Lomond and Loch Awe. It is flanked on both sides by rugged hills.

This illustration shows a view of the loch from Tor-a-chaut (or Torr a'Choit, meaning 'hillock of the croft'), a small hill at the head of the loch, just behind the National Trust for Scotland Information Centre at Glenfinnan. It was at Glenfinnan that Bonnie Prince Charlie landed on 19 August 1745 and many believe he raised his standard on Torr a' Choit, marking the beginning of the 1745 Jacobite rising.

In the foreground of the picture can be seen the Glenfinnan Monument, a slim tower with a small building attached to it. It was erected by Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale in 1815 in memory of the men who fought and died for the Jacobite cause. The small building is no longer present and the monument is now in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.

This illustration is taken from 'The Lakes of Scotland' by John Fleming.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Shiel from Tòrr a'Choit looking south west

INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart

1830s

lochs; hills; mountains; Jacobites; Prince Charles Edward Stuart; Prince Charles Edward Stewart; the '45; the forty-five; rebellions; risings; monuments; towers

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Loch Shiel is a long, narrow, freshwater loch, stretching some 17½ miles south west from Glenfinnan to Acharacle. It forms the boundary between the district of Moidart and the district of Ardgour and is the fourth longest loch in Scotland, after Loch Ness, Loch Lomond and Loch Awe. It is flanked on both sides by rugged hills.<br /> <br /> This illustration shows a view of the loch from Tor-a-chaut (or Torr a'Choit, meaning 'hillock of the croft'), a small hill at the head of the loch, just behind the National Trust for Scotland Information Centre at Glenfinnan. It was at Glenfinnan that Bonnie Prince Charlie landed on 19 August 1745 and many believe he raised his standard on Torr a' Choit, marking the beginning of the 1745 Jacobite rising. <br /> <br /> In the foreground of the picture can be seen the Glenfinnan Monument, a slim tower with a small building attached to it. It was erected by Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale in 1815 in memory of the men who fought and died for the Jacobite cause. The small building is no longer present and the monument is now in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.<br /> <br /> This illustration is taken from 'The Lakes of Scotland' by John Fleming.