Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Lochy from Tor-a-cromerk looking north east
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_1103_P007
PLACENAME
Loch Lochy
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
PERIOD
1830s
CREATOR
John Fleming
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31424
KEYWORDS
lochs
hills
mountains
monsters
canals
bays
Loch Lochy from Tor-a-cromerk looking north east

Loch Lochy is one of three lochs occupying the Great Glen, along with Loch Oich and Loch Ness. The most southerly of the three, it runs 10 miles (16 km) south west from Laggan to Gairlochy and is 554 feet (169 metres) deep. The loch is surrounded by steep wooded hillsides. Like its near neighbour Loch Ness, Loch Lochy is also believed by some to have a monster, known affectionately as Lizzie.

Loch Lochy, Loch Oich and Loch Ness are linked by the Caledonian Canal, built by Thomas Telford (1757-1834). Work began on the canal in 1803 and it was partially opened in 1822, but not finally completed until 1847. The canal was very important to mariners of the day as it allowed them to avoid the potentially hazardous trip around the north of Scotland through the Minch and the Pentland Firth.

This illustration shows a view from Tor-a-cromerk, possibly Torr a' Chromain (meaning 'crooked hill'), a small hill on the south west side of Loch Lochy. In the foreground is the bay of Arkaig and beyond it the loch proper on which some ships can be seen. On the opposite side of the water are the hills of Letterfinlay.

This illustration is taken from 'The Lakes of Scotland' by John Fleming.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Lochy from Tor-a-cromerk looking north east

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

1830s

lochs; hills; mountains; monsters; canals; bays

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Loch Lochy is one of three lochs occupying the Great Glen, along with Loch Oich and Loch Ness. The most southerly of the three, it runs 10 miles (16 km) south west from Laggan to Gairlochy and is 554 feet (169 metres) deep. The loch is surrounded by steep wooded hillsides. Like its near neighbour Loch Ness, Loch Lochy is also believed by some to have a monster, known affectionately as Lizzie.<br /> <br /> Loch Lochy, Loch Oich and Loch Ness are linked by the Caledonian Canal, built by Thomas Telford (1757-1834). Work began on the canal in 1803 and it was partially opened in 1822, but not finally completed until 1847. The canal was very important to mariners of the day as it allowed them to avoid the potentially hazardous trip around the north of Scotland through the Minch and the Pentland Firth.<br /> <br /> This illustration shows a view from Tor-a-cromerk, possibly Torr a' Chromain (meaning 'crooked hill'), a small hill on the south west side of Loch Lochy. In the foreground is the bay of Arkaig and beyond it the loch proper on which some ships can be seen. On the opposite side of the water are the hills of Letterfinlay.<br /> <br /> This illustration is taken from 'The Lakes of Scotland' by John Fleming.