Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Laggan looking west
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_1103_P008
PLACENAME
Loch Laggan
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Laggan
PERIOD
1830s
CREATOR
John Fleming
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31425
KEYWORDS
lochs
glens
rivers
dams
reservoirs
Loch Laggan looking west

Loch Laggan lies east of Glen Spean between Kingussie and Fort William. It extends for approximately 7 miles (12 km) south west of Kinloch Laggan and has the largest beach on a freshwater loch in Britain. In this illustration the River Pattack can be seen in the foreground winding its way toward the loch.

On the south east side of the loch stands Ardverikie House, now more famously known as 'Glenbogle' from the television series 'Monarch of the Glen'. The Ardverikie Estate includes a large stretch of the shoreline of the loch and provides opportunities for hunting and fishing.

Four miles west of Loch Laggan, at the western end of Loch Moy, is Laggan Dam. Loch Moy is often considered to be an extension of Loch Laggan. The dam crosses the River Spean, harnessing the waters of Loch Laggan, and was built by the British Aluminium Company in 1934 to provide hydro-electric power for the aluminium smelter at Fort William. Water is carried from the reservoir by tunnel to Loch Treig and from there by underground tunnel for 15 miles before descending through pipes down the shoulder of Ben Nevis.

This illustration is taken from 'The Lakes of Scotland' by John Fleming.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Laggan looking west

INVERNESS: Laggan

1830s

lochs; glens; rivers; dams; reservoirs

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Loch Laggan lies east of Glen Spean between Kingussie and Fort William. It extends for approximately 7 miles (12 km) south west of Kinloch Laggan and has the largest beach on a freshwater loch in Britain. In this illustration the River Pattack can be seen in the foreground winding its way toward the loch. <br /> <br /> On the south east side of the loch stands Ardverikie House, now more famously known as 'Glenbogle' from the television series 'Monarch of the Glen'. The Ardverikie Estate includes a large stretch of the shoreline of the loch and provides opportunities for hunting and fishing. <br /> <br /> Four miles west of Loch Laggan, at the western end of Loch Moy, is Laggan Dam. Loch Moy is often considered to be an extension of Loch Laggan. The dam crosses the River Spean, harnessing the waters of Loch Laggan, and was built by the British Aluminium Company in 1934 to provide hydro-electric power for the aluminium smelter at Fort William. Water is carried from the reservoir by tunnel to Loch Treig and from there by underground tunnel for 15 miles before descending through pipes down the shoulder of Ben Nevis. <br /> <br /> This illustration is taken from 'The Lakes of Scotland' by John Fleming.