Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inveraray, The Seat of the Dukes of Argyll
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_1475_P001
PLACENAME
Inveraray
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Inveraray
DATE OF IMAGE
1804
PERIOD
1800s
CREATOR
G Garrard & T Medland
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31451
KEYWORDS
castles
jails
Loch Fyne
Clan Campbell
Duke of Argyll
clans
Inveraray, The Seat of the Dukes of Argyll

Inveraray sits north-west of Glasgow at the head of Loch Fyne. It was rebuilt in the 1740s in its present location when the 3rd Duke of Argyll had the old town demolished to make way for his castle.

Inveraray Castle, despite two major fires in 1877 and 1975, has remained the seat of the Dukes of Argyll, the chiefs of the Campbells of Argyll.

Inveraray is famous for its castle and its jail.

This engraving, from a painting by George Garrard, can be found in 'A Sporting Tour of the Northern Parts of England and great part of the Highlands of Scotland', by Colonel T Thornton

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inveraray, The Seat of the Dukes of Argyll

ARGYLL: Inveraray

1800s

castles; jails; Loch Fyne; Clan Campbell; Duke of Argyll; clans

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Inveraray sits north-west of Glasgow at the head of Loch Fyne. It was rebuilt in the 1740s in its present location when the 3rd Duke of Argyll had the old town demolished to make way for his castle.<br /> <br /> Inveraray Castle, despite two major fires in 1877 and 1975, has remained the seat of the Dukes of Argyll, the chiefs of the Campbells of Argyll.<br /> <br /> Inveraray is famous for its castle and its jail.<br /> <br /> This engraving, from a painting by George Garrard, can be found in 'A Sporting Tour of the Northern Parts of England and great part of the Highlands of Scotland', by Colonel T Thornton