Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Laggan
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_1475_P214
PLACENAME
Loch Laggan
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Laggan
DATE OF IMAGE
1804
PERIOD
1800s
CREATOR
G Garrard & T Medland
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31455
KEYWORDS
lochs
estates
fishing
sports
hydro-electric
hydro electricity
hills
mountains
Loch Laggan

Loch Laggan extends for approximately 10 miles (16km) southwest of Kinloch Laggan and lies in Glen Spean between Kingussie and Fort William. The loch is fed, at the western end, by the River Gaur.

Laggan Dam was completed in 1934 by the British Aluminium Co Ltd to provide hydro-electricity for the aluminium smelter at Fort William.

Loch Laggan has the largest beach on a freshwater loch in Britain. On the southeast side of the loch stands Ardverikie House. The Ardverikie Estate includes a large stretch of the shore line of the loch.

The illustration shows people fishing on the shores of the loch.

This engraving, from a painting by George Garrard, can be found in 'A Sporting Tour of the Northern Parts of England and great part of the Highlands of Scotland', by Colonel T Thornton

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Laggan

INVERNESS: Laggan

1800s

lochs; estates; fishing; sports; hydro-electric; hydro electricity; hills; mountains

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Loch Laggan extends for approximately 10 miles (16km) southwest of Kinloch Laggan and lies in Glen Spean between Kingussie and Fort William. The loch is fed, at the western end, by the River Gaur.<br /> <br /> Laggan Dam was completed in 1934 by the British Aluminium Co Ltd to provide hydro-electricity for the aluminium smelter at Fort William.<br /> <br /> Loch Laggan has the largest beach on a freshwater loch in Britain. On the southeast side of the loch stands Ardverikie House. The Ardverikie Estate includes a large stretch of the shore line of the loch.<br /> <br /> The illustration shows people fishing on the shores of the loch.<br /> <br /> This engraving, from a painting by George Garrard, can be found in 'A Sporting Tour of the Northern Parts of England and great part of the Highlands of Scotland', by Colonel T Thornton