Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Awe and Kilchurn Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_1475_P240
PLACENAME
Loch Awe
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Glenorchy and Inishail
DATE OF IMAGE
1804
PERIOD
1800s
CREATOR
G Garrard & T B Pouncy
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31456
KEYWORDS
castles
Loch Awe
lochs
clans
buildings
Kilchurn
fish
Loch Awe and Kilchurn Castle

Loch Awe lies south east of Oban and at almost 24 miles (38km) long, is the longest freshwater loch in Scotland. It is famous in fishing circles for its wild brown trout. The loch has many ancient crannogs and the ruins of Inishail Chapel and Kilchurn and Finharn Castles can also be found there.

Kilchurn Castle stands on a small projecting point in Loch Awe. It was originally built by Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy around 1450. The castle was extended in the 17th century and used as a garrison. In 1681 Sir John Campbell of Glenorchy became the 1st Earl of Breadalbane.

During the 1715 and the 1745 Jacobite Risings Kilchurn Castle was used as a government garrison and the family tried unsuccessfully to sell it to the government.

The family left Kilchurn in 1740 for Taymouth castle. The castle was badly damaged by lightning in 1760 and abandoned completely.

This engraving, from a painting by George Garrard, can be found in 'A Sporting Tour of the Northern Parts of England and great part of the Highlands of Scotland', by Colonel T Thornton

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Awe and Kilchurn Castle

ARGYLL: Glenorchy and Inishail

1800s

castles; Loch Awe; lochs; clans; buildings; Kilchurn; fish

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Loch Awe lies south east of Oban and at almost 24 miles (38km) long, is the longest freshwater loch in Scotland. It is famous in fishing circles for its wild brown trout. The loch has many ancient crannogs and the ruins of Inishail Chapel and Kilchurn and Finharn Castles can also be found there.<br /> <br /> Kilchurn Castle stands on a small projecting point in Loch Awe. It was originally built by Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy around 1450. The castle was extended in the 17th century and used as a garrison. In 1681 Sir John Campbell of Glenorchy became the 1st Earl of Breadalbane.<br /> <br /> During the 1715 and the 1745 Jacobite Risings Kilchurn Castle was used as a government garrison and the family tried unsuccessfully to sell it to the government.<br /> <br /> The family left Kilchurn in 1740 for Taymouth castle. The castle was badly damaged by lightning in 1760 and abandoned completely.<br /> <br /> This engraving, from a painting by George Garrard, can be found in 'A Sporting Tour of the Northern Parts of England and great part of the Highlands of Scotland', by Colonel T Thornton