Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kingussie from the South
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2126_P027
PLACENAME
Kingussie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
DATE OF IMAGE
1893
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
Meisenbach
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31467
KEYWORDS
planned villages
shinty
camanachd
sports
towns
rivers
Kingussie from the South

The area around Kingussie was once dominated by Ruthven Castle, home of Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch, and later by Ruthven Barracks.

The Kirk of Kingussie was at a ford of the River Spey and was surrounded by a handful of houses. In 1799 the Duke of Gordon decided that the parish needed a village and a plan was drawn up.

The planned village of Kingussie grew slowly until it was put on the main road from Inverness to Perth and Fort William by the bridging of the River Spey and the River Laggan at the beginning of the 19th century. Another boost to the village's growth came when outlying tenants were relocated to Kingussie to make way for sheep.

The railway arrived bringing more tourism in 1863 and an 18-hole golf course was opened in 1890.

Kingussie is closely associated with shinty and the Camanachd Association was formed in the village in 1893. The local shinty team, Kingussie Camanachd, entered the Guinness Book of Records as the most successful team in any sport.

This image can be found in 'Glimpses of Church and Social Life in the Highlands in Olden Times', by Alexander MacPherson

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kingussie from the South

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

1890s

planned villages; shinty; camanachd; sports; towns; rivers

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The area around Kingussie was once dominated by Ruthven Castle, home of Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch, and later by Ruthven Barracks.<br /> <br /> The Kirk of Kingussie was at a ford of the River Spey and was surrounded by a handful of houses. In 1799 the Duke of Gordon decided that the parish needed a village and a plan was drawn up.<br /> <br /> The planned village of Kingussie grew slowly until it was put on the main road from Inverness to Perth and Fort William by the bridging of the River Spey and the River Laggan at the beginning of the 19th century. Another boost to the village's growth came when outlying tenants were relocated to Kingussie to make way for sheep.<br /> <br /> The railway arrived bringing more tourism in 1863 and an 18-hole golf course was opened in 1890.<br /> <br /> Kingussie is closely associated with shinty and the Camanachd Association was formed in the village in 1893. The local shinty team, Kingussie Camanachd, entered the Guinness Book of Records as the most successful team in any sport.<br /> <br /> This image can be found in 'Glimpses of Church and Social Life in the Highlands in Olden Times', by Alexander MacPherson