Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cross at Keills, Knapdale, Argyllshire
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P001
PLACENAME
Keills
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: North Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31477
KEYWORDS
crosses
carvings
standing stones
knots
art
Celtic designs
Cross at Keills, Knapdale, Argyllshire

Keills stands on a south-facing slope overlooking Loch Sween. Behind the Chapel of Keills stands Keills Cross, a free-standing cross with carvings reminiscent of the Irish tradition.

At the centre of the cross is a large circular boss which is sometimes known as a bird's nest design. The shaft of the cross is intricately patterned and contains the faint figure of a praying monk near the top. The side arms of the cross are carved with interlaced animals while the top arm contains an angel figure surrounded by Celtic knotwork.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain TP White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cross at Keills, Knapdale, Argyllshire

ARGYLL: North Knapdale

crosses; carvings; standing stones; knots; art; Celtic designs

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Keills stands on a south-facing slope overlooking Loch Sween. Behind the Chapel of Keills stands Keills Cross, a free-standing cross with carvings reminiscent of the Irish tradition.<br /> <br /> At the centre of the cross is a large circular boss which is sometimes known as a bird's nest design. The shaft of the cross is intricately patterned and contains the faint figure of a praying monk near the top. The side arms of the cross are carved with interlaced animals while the top arm contains an angel figure surrounded by Celtic knotwork.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain TP White (1875)