Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Gigha, Cara and Islands off the Coast of Knapdale
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P004
PLACENAME
Gigha and Cara
DISTRICT
Kintyre
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Gigha and Cara
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31480
KEYWORDS
islands
Argyll
communities
smugglers
smuggling
Gigha, Cara and Islands off the Coast of Knapdale

The island of Gigha is separated from the mainland by the Sound of Gigha. It is a small island of only 6 miles (10km) from north to south, and an area of 3447 acres. The island was granted to the Lords of the Isles in the 14th century and given to the MacNeills in the 1490s. The island was bought by Sir James Horlick in 1944. It was eventually the subject of a community buyout in 2002 and is now owned by the people who live there.

Cara is an uninhabited island to the south of Gigha. It has an area of only 153 acres but rises to a height of 56m (184ft) at its peak. The island was frequented by smugglers during the 18th century.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain TP White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Gigha, Cara and Islands off the Coast of Knapdale

ARGYLL: Gigha and Cara

islands; Argyll; communities; smugglers; smuggling

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The island of Gigha is separated from the mainland by the Sound of Gigha. It is a small island of only 6 miles (10km) from north to south, and an area of 3447 acres. The island was granted to the Lords of the Isles in the 14th century and given to the MacNeills in the 1490s. The island was bought by Sir James Horlick in 1944. It was eventually the subject of a community buyout in 2002 and is now owned by the people who live there. <br /> <br /> Cara is an uninhabited island to the south of Gigha. It has an area of only 153 acres but rises to a height of 56m (184ft) at its peak. The island was frequented by smugglers during the 18th century.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain TP White (1875)