Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Slab and Font at Kilchattan, Gigha
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P005
PLACENAME
Kilchattan
DISTRICT
Kintyre
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Gigha and Cara
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31481
KEYWORDS
fonts
graves
slabs
stones
carvings
religion
churches
chapels
baptism
islands
Slab and Font at Kilchattan, Gigha

The island of Gigha is separated from the mainland by the Sound of Gigha. It is a small island of only 6 miles (10km) from north to south, with an area of 3447 acres. The island was granted to the Lords of the Isles in the 14th century and has changed hands many times since. It now belongs to the island community.

The island contains a ruined chapel at Kilchattan. It is dedicated to St Catan, a 6th-century Irish missionary. The church was of a typical design for the period. It was a small rectangular building with a steep roof. Its length was about twice its breadth and it had long narrow windows in each wall.

Beneath the eastern window there is a stone font. The font is octagonal, about 2ft in diameter and about 8 inches deep with a central drain. The church also has a great number of grave slabs. The carvings on some of the slabs have faded but others can still be seen clearly. The font and two of the grave slabs are pictured here.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain TP White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Slab and Font at Kilchattan, Gigha

ARGYLL: Gigha and Cara

fonts; graves; slabs; stones; carvings; religion; churches; chapels; baptism; islands

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The island of Gigha is separated from the mainland by the Sound of Gigha. It is a small island of only 6 miles (10km) from north to south, with an area of 3447 acres. The island was granted to the Lords of the Isles in the 14th century and has changed hands many times since. It now belongs to the island community. <br /> <br /> The island contains a ruined chapel at Kilchattan. It is dedicated to St Catan, a 6th-century Irish missionary. The church was of a typical design for the period. It was a small rectangular building with a steep roof. Its length was about twice its breadth and it had long narrow windows in each wall. <br /> <br /> Beneath the eastern window there is a stone font. The font is octagonal, about 2ft in diameter and about 8 inches deep with a central drain. The church also has a great number of grave slabs. The carvings on some of the slabs have faded but others can still be seen clearly. The font and two of the grave slabs are pictured here.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain TP White (1875)