Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Crosses etc on the island of Gigha
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P007
PLACENAME
Gigha
DISTRICT
Kintyre
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Gigha and Cara
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31483
KEYWORDS
crosses
slabs
graves
islands
carvings
writing
stones
Crosses etc on the island of Gigha

The island of Gigha is separated from the mainland by the Sound of Gigha. It is a small island of only 6 miles (10km) from north to south, with an area of 3447 acres. The island was granted to the Lords of the Isles in the 14th century and has changed hands many times since. It now belongs to the island community.

This plate shows four illustrations of crosses found on the island. Figures 1 and 2 show both sides of a cross slab found at Tarbert to the north of the island. The cross was of a very simple design and stood around 6ft high. It had been considerably eroded by the weather.

Figure 4 shows a pillar gravestone found near the ruined chapel at Kilchattan. It is a four-sided pillar stone about 6ft high and 10 inches wide. The notches along the edge of the stone are an 'ogham' inscription. Ogham was a system of written language made using a series of notches above and below a central line. The inscription is believed to give the names of the deceased and his father.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Crosses etc on the island of Gigha

ARGYLL: Gigha and Cara

crosses; slabs; graves; islands; carvings; writing; stones

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The island of Gigha is separated from the mainland by the Sound of Gigha. It is a small island of only 6 miles (10km) from north to south, with an area of 3447 acres. The island was granted to the Lords of the Isles in the 14th century and has changed hands many times since. It now belongs to the island community. <br /> <br /> This plate shows four illustrations of crosses found on the island. Figures 1 and 2 show both sides of a cross slab found at Tarbert to the north of the island. The cross was of a very simple design and stood around 6ft high. It had been considerably eroded by the weather.<br /> <br /> Figure 4 shows a pillar gravestone found near the ruined chapel at Kilchattan. It is a four-sided pillar stone about 6ft high and 10 inches wide. The notches along the edge of the stone are an 'ogham' inscription. Ogham was a system of written language made using a series of notches above and below a central line. The inscription is believed to give the names of the deceased and his father.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)