Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sketches at Kilchattan Church
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P008
PLACENAME
Gigha
DISTRICT
Kintyre
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Gigha and Cara
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31484
KEYWORDS
churches
chapels
windows
saints
islands
buildings
Sketches at Kilchattan Church

The island of Gigha is separated from the mainland by the Sound of Gigha. It is a small island of only 6 miles (10km) from north to south, with an area of 3447 acres. The island was granted to the Lords of the Isles in the 14th century and has changed hands many times since. It now belongs to the island community.

The ruined church at Kilchattan dates from the 13th century. Most of the area within the church is covered in stone burial slabs. The church is dedicated to St Catan, a 6th century Irish missionary to the Western Isles. The church was a small rectangular building with a steep roof. The length of the building was about twice its breadth and each wall had tall windows. Beneath the eastern window, pictured here, is an octagonal stone font.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sketches at Kilchattan Church

ARGYLL: Gigha and Cara

churches; chapels; windows; saints; islands; buildings

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The island of Gigha is separated from the mainland by the Sound of Gigha. It is a small island of only 6 miles (10km) from north to south, with an area of 3447 acres. The island was granted to the Lords of the Isles in the 14th century and has changed hands many times since. It now belongs to the island community. <br /> <br /> The ruined church at Kilchattan dates from the 13th century. Most of the area within the church is covered in stone burial slabs. The church is dedicated to St Catan, a 6th century Irish missionary to the Western Isles. The church was a small rectangular building with a steep roof. The length of the building was about twice its breadth and each wall had tall windows. Beneath the eastern window, pictured here, is an octagonal stone font.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)