Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Slabs at Kilchattan
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P009
PLACENAME
Gigha
DISTRICT
Kintyre
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Gigha and Cara
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31485
KEYWORDS
stones
carvings
slabs
graves
designs
burial
Slabs at Kilchattan

The island of Gigha is separated from the mainland by the Sound of Gigha. It is a small island of only 6 miles (10km) from north to south, with an area of 3447 acres. The island was granted to the Lords of the Isles in the 14th century and has changed hands many times since. It now belongs to the island community.

The ruined church at Kilchattan dates from the 13th century. Most of the area within the church is covered in stone burial slabs. Some of the carvings have faded while others are still clear.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Slabs at Kilchattan

ARGYLL: Gigha and Cara

stones; carvings; slabs; graves; designs; burial

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The island of Gigha is separated from the mainland by the Sound of Gigha. It is a small island of only 6 miles (10km) from north to south, with an area of 3447 acres. The island was granted to the Lords of the Isles in the 14th century and has changed hands many times since. It now belongs to the island community. <br /> <br /> The ruined church at Kilchattan dates from the 13th century. Most of the area within the church is covered in stone burial slabs. Some of the carvings have faded while others are still clear. <br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)