Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cara Island and Kilberry
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P011
PLACENAME
Kilberry
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: South Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31487
KEYWORDS
stones
chapels
churches
carvings
sculptures
slabs
graves
crosses
Cara Island and Kilberry

Cara Island is an uninhabited island south of Gigha. The island is very small, only 153 acres, and reaches a height of 56m (184ft). The ruined chapel on Cara dates back to at least the 1540s. Cara Island does not have any stone slab sculptures or a burial ground at the chapel.

Kilberry is on the mainland between Loch Caolisport and West Loch Tarbert in Knapdale. The church at Kilberry is dedicated either to St Berach, the abbot of Cluain-Cairpthe in Roscommon, or to St Barr. The church houses a collection of sculptured stones and grave slabs. There is an upright carved cross at Kilberry.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cara Island and Kilberry

ARGYLL: South Knapdale

stones; chapels; churches; carvings; sculptures; slabs; graves; crosses

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Cara Island is an uninhabited island south of Gigha. The island is very small, only 153 acres, and reaches a height of 56m (184ft). The ruined chapel on Cara dates back to at least the 1540s. Cara Island does not have any stone slab sculptures or a burial ground at the chapel.<br /> <br /> Kilberry is on the mainland between Loch Caolisport and West Loch Tarbert in Knapdale. The church at Kilberry is dedicated either to St Berach, the abbot of Cluain-Cairpthe in Roscommon, or to St Barr. The church houses a collection of sculptured stones and grave slabs. There is an upright carved cross at Kilberry.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)