Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cross at Kilberry, Knapdale
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P012
PLACENAME
Kilberry
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: South Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31488
KEYWORDS
crosses
carvings
grave stones
grave slabs
graves
religion
Christianity
Cross at Kilberry, Knapdale

Kilberry is on the mainland between Loch Caolisport and West Loch Tarbert in Knapdale. The church at Kilberry is dedicated either to St Berach, the abbot of Cluain-Cairpthe in Roscommon, or to St Barr.
Also at Kilberry is a finely-carved upright cross. The cross is a grave marker and is carved on both sides. The face side, on the right of the illustration, is the more intricately carved. At the bottom of the shaft is an unarmed man with a pointed head-dress riding on a horse. Towards the middle is a mitred bishop. In his left hand he is holding his Crozier (clerical stick) and his right hand is raised in giving the Benediction. At the top of the cross is a scene showing the Crucifixion.

The reverse has two animals at the bottom reaching up into intertwined foliage which reaches the top of the cross face. This face has been damaged.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cross at Kilberry, Knapdale

ARGYLL: South Knapdale

crosses; carvings; grave stones; grave slabs; graves; religion; Christianity

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Kilberry is on the mainland between Loch Caolisport and West Loch Tarbert in Knapdale. The church at Kilberry is dedicated either to St Berach, the abbot of Cluain-Cairpthe in Roscommon, or to St Barr. <br /> Also at Kilberry is a finely-carved upright cross. The cross is a grave marker and is carved on both sides. The face side, on the right of the illustration, is the more intricately carved. At the bottom of the shaft is an unarmed man with a pointed head-dress riding on a horse. Towards the middle is a mitred bishop. In his left hand he is holding his Crozier (clerical stick) and his right hand is raised in giving the Benediction. At the top of the cross is a scene showing the Crucifixion.<br /> <br /> The reverse has two animals at the bottom reaching up into intertwined foliage which reaches the top of the cross face. This face has been damaged.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)