Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Slabs at Kilberry, Knapdale
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P013
PLACENAME
Kilberry
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: South Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31489
KEYWORDS
stones
slabs
carving
sculptures
graves
markers
Slabs at Kilberry, Knapdale

Kilberry is on the mainland between Loch Caolisport and West Loch Tarbert in Knapdale. The church at Kilberry is dedicated either to St Berach, the abbot of Cluain-Cairpthe in Roscommon, or to St Barr. The church houses a collection of sculptured stones and grave slabs from the late medieval period. The stones were collected from the Kilberry Estate. The stone slabs seen here demonstrate the type of artwork found at Kilberry.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain TP White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Slabs at Kilberry, Knapdale

ARGYLL: South Knapdale

stones; slabs; carving; sculptures; graves; markers

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Kilberry is on the mainland between Loch Caolisport and West Loch Tarbert in Knapdale. The church at Kilberry is dedicated either to St Berach, the abbot of Cluain-Cairpthe in Roscommon, or to St Barr. The church houses a collection of sculptured stones and grave slabs from the late medieval period. The stones were collected from the Kilberry Estate. The stone slabs seen here demonstrate the type of artwork found at Kilberry.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain TP White (1875)