Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Alto-Relievos at Kilberry, Knapdale
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P014
PLACENAME
Kilberry
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: South Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31490
KEYWORDS
sculptures
stones
carvings
slabs
graves
knights
warriors
battle
Alto-Relievos at Kilberry, Knapdale

Kilberry is on the mainland between Loch Caolisport and West Loch Tarbert in Knapdale. The church at Kilberry is dedicated either to St Berach, the abbot of Cluain-Cairpthe in Roscommon, or to St Barr. It houses a collection of sculptured stones and grave slabs from the late medieval period. The stones were collected from the Kilberry Estate.

This illustration shows two 'alto relievos', or high relief sculptured stones. Both stones show effigies of knights dressed for battle. The one on the left is the best preserved of the two. The warrior in the other stone has an attendant angel beside his head grasping a spear. The effigies were built, upright, into the wall of a family mausoleum in Kilberry.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Alto-Relievos at Kilberry, Knapdale

ARGYLL: South Knapdale

sculptures; stones; carvings; slabs; graves; knights; warriors; battle

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Kilberry is on the mainland between Loch Caolisport and West Loch Tarbert in Knapdale. The church at Kilberry is dedicated either to St Berach, the abbot of Cluain-Cairpthe in Roscommon, or to St Barr. It houses a collection of sculptured stones and grave slabs from the late medieval period. The stones were collected from the Kilberry Estate.<br /> <br /> This illustration shows two 'alto relievos', or high relief sculptured stones. Both stones show effigies of knights dressed for battle. The one on the left is the best preserved of the two. The warrior in the other stone has an attendant angel beside his head grasping a spear. The effigies were built, upright, into the wall of a family mausoleum in Kilberry.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)