Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Slabs at Kilberry, Knapdale
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P015
PLACENAME
Kilberry
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: South Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31491
KEYWORDS
graves
slabs
stones
markers
carvings
tombstones
Slabs at Kilberry, Knapdale

Kilberry is on the mainland between Loch Caolisport and West Loch Tarbert in Knapdale. The church at Kilberry is dedicated either to St Berach, the abbot of Cluain-Cairpthe in Roscommon, or to St Barr. The church houses a collection of sculptured stones and grave slabs from the late medieval period. The stones were collected from the Kilberry Estate.

This pair of grave stones shows some fine carving. The stone on the left depicts a deer-hound and a stag. An intertwining pattern extends upwards from the animals on one side of the stone while a carved sword occupies the other side. Most of the stone on the right is covered by an intricate pattern. It leads into a less elaborate rectangular pattern.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Slabs at Kilberry, Knapdale

ARGYLL: South Knapdale

graves; slabs; stones; markers; carvings; tombstones

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Kilberry is on the mainland between Loch Caolisport and West Loch Tarbert in Knapdale. The church at Kilberry is dedicated either to St Berach, the abbot of Cluain-Cairpthe in Roscommon, or to St Barr. The church houses a collection of sculptured stones and grave slabs from the late medieval period. The stones were collected from the Kilberry Estate.<br /> <br /> This pair of grave stones shows some fine carving. The stone on the left depicts a deer-hound and a stag. An intertwining pattern extends upwards from the animals on one side of the stone while a carved sword occupies the other side. Most of the stone on the right is covered by an intricate pattern. It leads into a less elaborate rectangular pattern.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)