Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sketches at Cove, Knapdale
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P016
PLACENAME
Cove
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: South Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31492
KEYWORDS
caves
churches
chapels
saints
villages
religion
Sketches at Cove, Knapdale

The village of Achahoish is located at the head of Loch Caolisport. Close by is the farm and burial ground of Lochead which has an example of a standing stone.

Further round the coast, to the south west of Achahoish, is Cove and St Columba's Cave. The cave is supposedly where Columba stayed in 563 AD while he was petitioning King Conal for permission to set up a monastery on Iona. Columba was thought to have carried on his ministry from the cave while he waited for permission.

Outside the cave stands a ruined 13th century chapel dedicated to the saint.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sketches at Cove, Knapdale

ARGYLL: South Knapdale

caves; churches; chapels; saints; villages; religion

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The village of Achahoish is located at the head of Loch Caolisport. Close by is the farm and burial ground of Lochead which has an example of a standing stone.<br /> <br /> Further round the coast, to the south west of Achahoish, is Cove and St Columba's Cave. The cave is supposedly where Columba stayed in 563 AD while he was petitioning King Conal for permission to set up a monastery on Iona. Columba was thought to have carried on his ministry from the cave while he waited for permission.<br /> <br /> Outside the cave stands a ruined 13th century chapel dedicated to the saint.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)