Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
MacMillan Cross at Kilmory of Knap
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P019
PLACENAME
Kilmory of Knap
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: South Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31495
KEYWORDS
crosses
religion
symbols
scenes
carvings
stones
MacMillan Cross at Kilmory of Knap

The MacMillan Cross can be found at the Kilmory of Knap Chapel. It was commissioned by Alexander MacMillan in the 15th century. He was the chief who had previously occupied Castle Sween.

One side of the cross depicts a crucifixion scene above a sword, surrounded by an intertwining design. The other side shows a kilted warrior and hounds hunting deer. This side also has an intricate intertwining pattern towards the top of the cross.

The cross was originally about 12ft (4m) high and is made of solid chloride slate. An inscription on the cross reads 'Haec est crux Alexandri MacMulen' which translates as 'This is the Cross of Alexander MacMillan'.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

MacMillan Cross at Kilmory of Knap

ARGYLL: South Knapdale

crosses; religion; symbols; scenes; carvings; stones

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The MacMillan Cross can be found at the Kilmory of Knap Chapel. It was commissioned by Alexander MacMillan in the 15th century. He was the chief who had previously occupied Castle Sween.<br /> <br /> One side of the cross depicts a crucifixion scene above a sword, surrounded by an intertwining design. The other side shows a kilted warrior and hounds hunting deer. This side also has an intricate intertwining pattern towards the top of the cross.<br /> <br /> The cross was originally about 12ft (4m) high and is made of solid chloride slate. An inscription on the cross reads 'Haec est crux Alexandri MacMulen' which translates as 'This is the Cross of Alexander MacMillan'.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)