Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Tombstone of an Ecclesiastic at Kilmory of Knap
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P023
PLACENAME
Kilmory of Knap
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: South Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31499
KEYWORDS
stones
graves
tombs
grave markers
carvings
effigies
Tombstone of an Ecclesiastic at Kilmory of Knap

This tombstone of an unknown ecclesiastic was found at the ruined chapel at Kilmory of Knap. Kilmory is on the west coast of Knapdale just north of the Point of Knap. On the shore between Loch Caolisport and Loch Sween is the medieval Kilmory Knap Chapel. This ruined chapel houses many examples of grave carvings dating from the 14th to the 16th centuries. The carvings are reminiscent of the Irish carving tradition. The MacMillan Cross is also found at the chapel.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Tombstone of an Ecclesiastic at Kilmory of Knap

ARGYLL: South Knapdale

stones; graves; tombs; grave markers; carvings; effigies

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This tombstone of an unknown ecclesiastic was found at the ruined chapel at Kilmory of Knap. Kilmory is on the west coast of Knapdale just north of the Point of Knap. On the shore between Loch Caolisport and Loch Sween is the medieval Kilmory Knap Chapel. This ruined chapel houses many examples of grave carvings dating from the 14th to the 16th centuries. The carvings are reminiscent of the Irish carving tradition. The MacMillan Cross is also found at the chapel. <br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)