Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Shaft of a Cross at Eilean Mor
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P032
PLACENAME
Eilean Mor
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: South Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31508
KEYWORDS
crosses
stones
slabs
graves
tombs
grave markers
carvings
designs
Shaft of a Cross at Eilean Mor

Eilean Mòr is the largest of a group of islands in the Sound of Jura. It is also sometimes known as Cormac's Island after St Cormac, an Irish monk who died in 664 AD and who is buried on the island.

This broken shaft of a medieval cross dates back to the 9th or 10th century, though local tradition has it that the cross marked the burial place of Cormac himself. T P White comments that the eastern face of the cross (pictured) is reminiscent of the Irish style of carving.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Shaft of a Cross at Eilean Mor

ARGYLL: South Knapdale

crosses; stones; slabs; graves; tombs; grave markers; carvings; designs

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Eilean Mòr is the largest of a group of islands in the Sound of Jura. It is also sometimes known as Cormac's Island after St Cormac, an Irish monk who died in 664 AD and who is buried on the island. <br /> <br /> This broken shaft of a medieval cross dates back to the 9th or 10th century, though local tradition has it that the cross marked the burial place of Cormac himself. T P White comments that the eastern face of the cross (pictured) is reminiscent of the Irish style of carving.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)