Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sketches at Keills
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P037
PLACENAME
Keills
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: North Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31514
KEYWORDS
chapels
churches
buildings
ruins
graves
grave markers
sculptured stones
crosses
Sketches at Keills

Keills Chapel stands on a south-facing slope overlooking Loch Sween. Like the chapel at Kilmory across the loch, it is in ruins. The general dimensions of both chapels are similar. The length of the building is about twice the breadth, the roof is very steep and there are narrow windows in the walls.

The roof at Keills chapel has recently been replaced to protect its collection of carved grave slabs. The Keills Cross was originally behind the chapel but it has been moved inside to protect it.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sketches at Keills

ARGYLL: North Knapdale

chapels; churches; buildings; ruins; graves; grave markers; sculptured stones; crosses

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Keills Chapel stands on a south-facing slope overlooking Loch Sween. Like the chapel at Kilmory across the loch, it is in ruins. The general dimensions of both chapels are similar. The length of the building is about twice the breadth, the roof is very steep and there are narrow windows in the walls.<br /> <br /> The roof at Keills chapel has recently been replaced to protect its collection of carved grave slabs. The Keills Cross was originally behind the chapel but it has been moved inside to protect it.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)