Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Crosses at Kilmory of Oib
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P048
PLACENAME
Kilmory Oib
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: North Knapdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31525
KEYWORDS
crosses
sculptured stones
carvings
designs
markers
symbols
Crosses at Kilmory of Oib

The settlement of Kilmory Oib was abandoned during the medieval period. A well in the centre of the village has two crosses erected on either side. The top two illustrations show both sides of one of the crosses. The east face of the slab has a simple outlined cross while the west face has another cross with two pairs of birds, two discs and about four other animals.

The bottom two illustrations show both sides of a cross found at Ach-na-cille on the farm of Oibmore. T P White comments that the crosses on both sides of the slab are Irish in style.

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Crosses at Kilmory of Oib

ARGYLL: North Knapdale

crosses; sculptured stones; carvings; designs; markers; symbols

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The settlement of Kilmory Oib was abandoned during the medieval period. A well in the centre of the village has two crosses erected on either side. The top two illustrations show both sides of one of the crosses. The east face of the slab has a simple outlined cross while the west face has another cross with two pairs of birds, two discs and about four other animals. <br /> <br /> The bottom two illustrations show both sides of a cross found at Ach-na-cille on the farm of Oibmore. T P White comments that the crosses on both sides of the slab are Irish in style.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)