Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Slab at Kilmichael Glassary
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2408_P049
PLACENAME
Kilmichael Glassary
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Glassary
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
CREATOR
T P White
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31526
KEYWORDS
slabs
stones
graves
tombs
burials
grave markers
inscriptions
carvings
designs
Slab at Kilmichael Glassary

Kilmichael Glassary lies 4 miles north of Lochgilphead. It was an early Christian centre associated with nearby Dunadd and later became the scene of a cattle market. Kilmichael Glassary is particularly famous for its cup and ring marked stones.

This sculptured stone was found at Kilmichael Glassary. The sword in the middle is surrounded with an intertwining design and some carved animals. The inscription reads 'Hic iacet Duncanus Mor McCane' (Here lies Duncan Mor McCane).

This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Slab at Kilmichael Glassary

ARGYLL: Glassary

slabs; stones; graves; tombs; burials; grave markers; inscriptions; carvings; designs

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Kilmichael Glassary lies 4 miles north of Lochgilphead. It was an early Christian centre associated with nearby Dunadd and later became the scene of a cattle market. Kilmichael Glassary is particularly famous for its cup and ring marked stones. <br /> <br /> This sculptured stone was found at Kilmichael Glassary. The sword in the middle is surrounded with an intertwining design and some carved animals. The inscription reads 'Hic iacet Duncanus Mor McCane' (Here lies Duncan Mor McCane).<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Archaeological Sketches in Scotland: Knapdale and Gigha', by Captain T P White (1875)