Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bressay Sculptured Stone
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2471_1862-1864_P238
DATE OF IMAGE
1864
PERIOD
1860s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31537
KEYWORDS
stones
Picts
Pictish stones
carvings
islands
writing
languages
Bressay Sculptured Stone

This stone is a class III Pictish stone. This means that it dates from the period after the Christianisation of Pictland and there are no recognised Pictish symbols on the stone. The stone is sculptured on both sides with interlaced crosses on the top part and figures of men and animals on the lower parts. An ogham inscription is cut along both edges. The reverse side of the stone is seen here.

Ogham was a system of writing used by the Picts but which originated in Ireland. The system involved a series of straight slashes on, through or below a central line.

The stone was found near the ruins of St Mary's Church at Culbinsgarth (now Cullingsburgh) on the east side of Bressay, one of the Shetland Islands.

This illustration can be found in vol.V of the 'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries in Scotland', 1860-1862

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bressay Sculptured Stone

1860s

stones; Picts; Pictish stones; carvings; islands; writing; languages

Highland Libraries

Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (illustrations)

This stone is a class III Pictish stone. This means that it dates from the period after the Christianisation of Pictland and there are no recognised Pictish symbols on the stone. The stone is sculptured on both sides with interlaced crosses on the top part and figures of men and animals on the lower parts. An ogham inscription is cut along both edges. The reverse side of the stone is seen here.<br /> <br /> Ogham was a system of writing used by the Picts but which originated in Ireland. The system involved a series of straight slashes on, through or below a central line.<br /> <br /> The stone was found near the ruins of St Mary's Church at Culbinsgarth (now Cullingsburgh) on the east side of Bressay, one of the Shetland Islands.<br /> <br /> This illustration can be found in vol.V of the 'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries in Scotland', 1860-1862