Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Hill Fort near Helmsdale
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_2471_1862-1864_P247
PLACENAME
Kilphedir
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Loth
DATE OF IMAGE
1864
PERIOD
1860s
CREATOR
W & A K Johnston
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31540
KEYWORDS
forts
buildings
towers
defence
Hill Fort near Helmsdale

This hill fort is near Helmsdale on the Kilphedir Burn. It was built as a stronghold or a signal tower and has an excellent view in every direction, so that enemies may be easily seen. The inside diameter of the tower is 33ft (11m). The walls are about 13ft (4m) thick and have the remains of a passage within them. The walls were estimated to have been approximately 30ft (9m) high.

The whole tower was surrounded by a ditch. There are remnants of other dwellings nearby including an earth house or souterrain.

This illustration can be found in vol.V of the 'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries in Scotland', 1860-1862

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Hill Fort near Helmsdale

SUTHERLAND: Loth

1860s

forts; buildings; towers; defence

Highland Libraries

Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (illustrations)

This hill fort is near Helmsdale on the Kilphedir Burn. It was built as a stronghold or a signal tower and has an excellent view in every direction, so that enemies may be easily seen. The inside diameter of the tower is 33ft (11m). The walls are about 13ft (4m) thick and have the remains of a passage within them. The walls were estimated to have been approximately 30ft (9m) high. <br /> <br /> The whole tower was surrounded by a ditch. There are remnants of other dwellings nearby including an earth house or souterrain.<br /> <br /> This illustration can be found in vol.V of the 'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries in Scotland', 1860-1862